Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Wheels are rolling...to...Ladakh!

Come August 5th, 2005, and I,with Mobydick, will embark upon the journey of a lifetime. Across the Bharatkhand, to the cold desert that lies sandwitched between the mighty mountain ranges of Karakoram and Himalayas: Ladakh.
Ladakh (la-dakh: meaning "Land of passes" and also known by many names like "Little Tibet" and "The last Shangri-la"), caught my fancy when I read about it around ten years back and it has been on the top of my list of "Places-that-I-cannot-fail-to-visit-before-I-die" ever since, with Kailash-Manasarovar and Amarnath coming in second and third places. Now it is time: I have the best company that I can dream of ( though I would've given my heart and soul to have Strokes and Chandu also with me in this trip, the thousands of miles that lie between us make it physically impossible. Guys, I dedicate this trip to you two!)
We are treading the Delhi-Manali-Rohtang La-Leh route this time. The NH1 Alpha, Srinagar-Kargil-Leh route, can wait :)
Wish me luck, pals! And keep watching this place for updates!

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am with you, pal. I am with you. :)

8/02/2005 3:07 PM  
Blogger chupru said...

Ladakh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow man, I envy you I truly do.
One place i ll love to go beside Burma.
Do have loads of fun; and live tall with all the smoke and whisky. Looking forward to the post succeeding the trip.

8/02/2005 3:39 PM  
Blogger clash said...

wow!! thats great!! infact . i dunno.. have a nice trip.. im close to that place now,technically speaking..

8/02/2005 8:28 PM  
Blogger kvmurali32 said...

Hey Awesome!!
Manali-Rohtang - Leh is a long trek rite?
Heard this rhotang pass clears up for only 3-4 months in a year.
Have a great time!

btw my names Murali.. Unni's batch. I remember ur name; cant exactly place it though.

8/03/2005 12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the excitement shows! i am so happy for u....ladakh... have a nice journey to ur dream destination :)... and dont forget to bring back something for us too hehe

8/03/2005 12:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hope you are having a nice time in Ladakh and hope you will upadte this blog before 19th of August.
I will start my Ladakh trip on 19th.
I will be taking Delhi-Manali-Rohtang La-Leh-Kardungla-Nubra and will also visit Pangong.

8/10/2005 6:32 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

I thought I posted a comment!!! I come back and its not there!Imagination! Let me try to recreate what I said or thought I did...

I wanted to post a comment yesterday on your blog. But gone are the days when I tried to lure people into reading me by way of comments. And these days, I read but never comment.

The photographs are amazing- some of them. And travel writer to become- one of my fondest wishes. India everywhere, undiscovered spots, away from commercial and advertising people who sell the place to suckers. And away from India; Nepal, Egypt, Israel, Cuba... the list is one that's growing healthily.

8/30/2005 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home