Thursday, June 02, 2005

Poems and me.

I got a very unusual forward yesterday. Usually forwards go directly to my trashcan, but this one rattled me. It was the lyrics of a poem written by the eminent Malayalam poet Madhusoodanan Nair, and was also featured in the movie "Daivathinte Vikruthikal". I read the lyrics, took a while in getting it into the head, read it again, again, and again. And I felt it, deep inside.
I used to hate poetries when I was a kid. I could never get the right tune and rythm. That attitude went on till I heard Madhusoodanan Nair reciting "Naranathu Bhranthan". I'd never before heard such a powerful voice singing. The voice, the tune and of course the poem itself swept me off my feet. And then I started listening to poetry (I admit, I still can't read it). Then came Chullikkadu, ONV and Vayalar. Boy, if you want to know how a *perfect* male voice should sound like, listen to Balachandran Chullikkadu reciting his poems... You'll never forget that voice in your whole lifetime.
Listening to Nair's "Agasthyahridayam" now...


4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Poetry's something that has passed by me. I am worthless reading poetry, and the best way I can enjoy them is hearing them recited by someone. :(

I should try those!

6/02/2005 6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"And judge not, and ye shall not be judged" ... am here... not to judge your blogs, but just to read u ( and perhaps we need to read between the lines ;-) ).... hope it doesnt sound a lot like "I come to bury Ceasar not to praise him" hehe....

confusing? lol, thats exactly what i wanted to do - to confuse u..
so my first comment on your blog... you r going good so far, its not easy to keep on writing, nor to keep on thinking.. so good work, keep it up!


about the poem, that was a wonderful one, no wonder if it got u engrossed in it.

(by anonymous???? well, let it be so for now.. anywayz u know me :)... and expect more - always! )

6/03/2005 1:48 PM  
Blogger SNM said...

Its very hard not to form an opinion about something, isn't it? :)

6/03/2005 2:46 PM  
Blogger un said...

Try A.Ayyappan's or Sachidanandan's Poetry.

4/28/2006 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home