Monday, March 13, 2006

Traffic

The Hosur Road traffic is getting real bad these days. Last thursday, it took one and a half hours to cover the 16km strech from my home to the office. Earlier when it used to be this way, I used to go mad struggling to get my bike through the traffic under the hot evening sun, with smoke and dust filling up my nostrils. Come rain and there were the days of mud-racing.
Those days are over. As soon as I moved to HSR Layout from my old flat in Bommanahalli, I took up a bus pass from the company and started enjoying the 'luxurious' bus service my organization provides. They are much better than being out there on the road, I should say. The buses may be battered and noisy and cramped, but still its way better than being out in the open on Hosur road. But what makes bus travel so wonderful for me is that it has breathed a new life into my reading habit, which was on the verge of an un-timely death. Since I've started coming in the bus, ie in the last two months, I've finished reading the following books:

Rain in the mountains - Ruskin Bond
The spymasters of Israel
The search for Shangri-la - Charles Allen
From Beirut to Jerusalem - Thomas L. Friedman
Yayati (Malayalam)

Currently reading: From the Holy mountain by
William Dalrymple.

These days, I don't feel horrible when I see a big traffic block in front of my bus....

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah I am able to sleep only during these bus rides from Bellevue to seattle...i just doze off..tried taking a book that only gives me a headache..and when are u coming over??

Vinodh

3/14/2006 1:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good for u. Not the same case for me... Reading has been steadily on the decline for the past coupla months. Gotta do something about it. And as I found out, it bears a direct effect on bloggin also. I havent been able to pen a single thing for a long time, despite having all the things happening. I must be dozing off, shud wake up.

3/16/2006 5:09 PM  
Blogger Aslan said...

yeah man, bus trip to office is the best time n' place to read. i'm on 'Karma Cola' by Gita Mehta now.

3/21/2006 11:31 AM  
Blogger silverine said...

Hey !! I like the new template, just like mine :)

4/01/2006 11:26 PM  
Blogger pophabhi said...

Read, Read and Read more! At least the bus pass and Hosur Road can provide us that luxury! Nice blog!

4/12/2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger SNM said...

I've been reading like crazy. And things seem to be on a favorable side; jams keep getting longer, and I seem to be spending more and more time on the road :)

4/12/2006 11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work »

3/05/2007 12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home